The 1st Dean of Department
The 1st Dean of Department after the re-establishment
The 1st Dean of School of Life Sciences
The Department of Biology in Tsinghua University was established. Botanist Qian Chongshu took up the first dean , a batch of famous biologists were trained.
The Biology Building was founded and the Branch of Biology of the Institute of Science was formally set up and started recruiting graduate students. At that time most courses adopted American textbooks, teaching and research were mainly concerned with experimental biology, focusing on theories while neglecting practice.1935, journal report seminar was carried out in biology department and biology academy was founded.
The National South-West Associated University (NSWAU))established after Anti-Japanese War broking out , the Department of Biology in Tsinghua and Peking University were merged and renamed as the Department of Biology of (NSWAU)), the dean of which was Jidong Li.
After China's triumph in Sino-Japanese War, the teachers and students of Tsinghua University came back to BeiPing (now Beijing) during Aug. to Oct. The Department of Biology suffered from heavy destruction during the occupation by enemy.
In the nationwide reorganization of universities the Department of Biology of Tsinghua University was merged into other universities, leaving the field of biological research a vacancy in Tsinghua for a long time. Yet at the same time life science research has blossomed and astonishing accomplishments were being achieved world-wide.
In Jun. 1984, the university leaders decided to resume the department; in Sep. 1984 the Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology (DBSB) was formally re-established. The dean of department was Muming Poo. During the development of the DBSB, the Department of Biology of Peking University, the Institute of Biophysics of Chinese Academy of Sciences, and many other organizations as well as biologists out of Tsinghua and China provided valuable support and help.
The DBSB made significant achievements in scientific research and teaching, and cultivated a large group of young scholars, some of which made contributions in the field of biological research home and abroad.
The School of Life Sciences (SLS) of Tsinghai university, abbreviated School of Life Sciences was officially organized in September 2009; at the same time, the Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology was rescinded.
- The site of re-establishment in 1984.The department building in 1984 after restablishment.
- The Building of Biology Built in 1929.
- The WeiLun Building Built in 1999.