Qiaoran XI Ph.D.
1989-1993 B.S. Nanjing University, Nanjing
1998-2004 Ph.D. New York University Medical Center
2004-2005 Postdoc New York University Medical Cente
2006-2013 Postdoc Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
2013-present Principle Investigator School of Life Sciences, Tsinghua University
The long-term goal of my research is to understand how the cellular signaling and the epigenome interplay to influence development and disease. We have made significant progress toward this overarching goal. For example, we have discovered many long non-coding RNAs (lncRNAs) and a novel R-Smad-interacting DNA glycosylase as new players in TGF-β biology. We have also made significant advances in understanding cell context-dependent nature of TGF-β responses. Going forward, we will deepen our investigation of these new players of TGF-β signaling and strive to gain mechanistic insights into their regulatory roles in early development. Built on our exciting findings in our research in BMP signaling and DIPG, we will continue our collaborative efforts with Taitan Hospital to uncover how BMP signaling cross-talks with epigenome and exerts different effects in two distinct groups of DIPGs. The objective of this collaboration is to translate our basic research findings into desperately needed therapeutic strategies for DIPGs.
1. Luo M, Bai J#, Liu B#, Yan P#, Zuo F, Sun H, Sun Y, Xu X, Song Z, Yang Y, Massagué J, Lan X, Lu Z, Chen YG, Deng H, Xie W, and Xi Q*. (2019) H3K18ac primes mesendodermal differentiation upon nodal signaling. Stem Cell Reports. 13(4): 642-656.
2. Sun Y#, Sun Y#, Yan K, Li Z, Xu C, Geng Y, Pan C, Chen X, Zhang l*, Xi Q*. (2019) Potent anti-tumor efficacy of palbociclib in H3.3K27M-mutant diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma. EBioMedicine. 43:171-179.
3. Tian W#, Yan P#, Xu N, Chakravorty A, Liefke R*, Xi Q* and Wang Z*. (2019) The HRP3 PWWP domain recognizes the minor groove of double-stranded DNA and recruits HRP3 to chromatin. Nucleic Acids Research. 47(10): 5436-5448.
4. Bai J, Xi Q*. (2018) Crosstalk between TGF-β signaling and epigenome. Acta Biochimica Biophys Sin. 50(1): 60-67. (Review)
5. Xia X, Zuo F, Luo M, Sun Y, Bai J, Xi Q*. (2017) Role of TRIM33 in Wnt signaling during mesendoderm differentiation. Sci China Life Sci. 60(10): 1142-1149.
6. Massagué J, and Xi Q. (2012) TGF-β control of stem cell differentiation genes. FEBS Letters 586: 1953-8. (Review)
7. Xi Q, Wang Z, Zaromytidou AI, Zhang XH, Chow-Tsang L, Liu JX, Kim H, Manova-Todorova K, Kaartinen V, Studer L, Mark W, Patel DJ, and Massagué J*. (2011) A poised chromatin platform for TGFβ access to master regulators. Cell 147: 1511-24.
8. Alarcón C, Zaromytidou AI#, Xi Q#, Gao S#, Yu J, Fujisawa S, Barlas A, Miller A, Manova-Todorova K, Sapkota G, Pan D, and Massagué J*. (2009) CDK8/9 kinases drive Smad transcriptional action and turnover in BMP and TGFβ pathways. Cell 139: 757-69.
9. Xi Q, He W, Zhang XH, Le HV, Massagué J*. (2008) Genome-wide impact of the BRG1 SWI/SNF chromatin remodeler on the transforming growth factor β transcriptional program. J Biol Chem. 283: 1146-55.
10. Xi Q, Cuesta R, and Schneider RJ*. (2005) Regulation of ribosome shunting translation by phosphotyrosine-dependent coupling of adenovirus 100k protein to viral mRNAs. J. Virol. 79: 5676-5683.
11. Xi Q, Cuesta R, and Schneider RJ*. (2004) Tethering of eIF4G to Adenoviral 100k protein drives ribosome shunting. Genes Dev. 18: 1997- 2009.