Hong Luo, Ph.D.
B.S., 1982, Hunan Agricultural University, Hunan, China
M.S., 1987, Hunan Agricultural University, Hunan, China
Ph.D., 1992, University of Louisville, Kentucky, USA
1993-1997, Post-doctoral Fellow, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard Medical School
1997-1999, Post-doctoral Fellow, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School
1999-2000, Assistant Biologist, Massachusetts General Hospital
2000-2004, Assistant Professor, Texas A&M University College of Medicine
2004-Present, Professor, School of Life Sciences, Tsinghua University
Drosophila brain development: Roles of JAK/STAT and Notch signaling in Drosophila optic lobe development; roles of cell polarity determinants, tumor suppressor genes and epigenetic factors in Drosophila optic lobe development; mechanisms underlying neuronal diversity.
Undergraduate course: Neurobiology
Graduate course: Advances in Developmental Biology
- Wei Wang, Yonggang Li, Liya Zhou, Haitao Yue, Hong Luo. Role of JAK/STAT signaling in neuroepithelial stem cell maintenance and proliferation in the Drosophila optic lobe. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 410 (2011), 714-720.
- Wei Wang, Wenke Liu, Yue Wang, Liya Zhou, Xiaofang Tang, Hong Luo. Notch signaling regulates neuroepithelial stem cell maintenance and neuroblast formation in Drosophila optic lobe development. Developmental Biology 350 (2011), 414–428.
- Hong Luo, Paul E. Rose, Thomas M. Roberts, and Charles R. Dearolf. The Hopscotch Jak kinase requires the Raf pathway to promote blood cell activation and differentiation in Drosophila. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 267(2002), 57-63.
- Hong Luo and Charles R. Dearolf. The JAK/STAT pathway and Drosophila development. BioEssays 23 (2001), 1138-1147.
- Hong Luo, H. Asha, Lutz Kockel, Tim Parke, Marek Mlodzik, and Charles R. Dearolf. The Drosophila Jak kinase Hopscotch is required for multiple developmental processes in the eye. Developmental Biology 213 (1999), 432-441.
- Hong Luo, Paul Rose, Dwayne Barber, William P. Hanratty, Sue Lee, Thomas M. Roberts, Alan D. D’Andrea, and Charles R. Dearolf. Mutation in the Jak kinase JH2 domain hyperactivates Drosophila and mammalian Jak-Stat pathways. Molecular and Cellular Biology 17 (1997), 1562-1571.
- Riqiang Yan, Hong Luo, James E. Darnell, Jr., and Charles R. Dearolf. A JAK-STAT pathway regulates wing vein formation in Drosophila. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 93 (1996), 5842-5847.
- Hong Luo, William P. Hanratty and Charles R. Dearolf. An amino acid substitution in the Drosophila hopTum-l Jak kinase causes leukemia-like hematopoietic defects. The EMBO Journal 14 (1995), 1412-1420.
Awards and Grants
1997-2000, Special Fellow, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of America, $110,000
2003-2008, Principal Investigator, Signaling Mechanisms of the Drosophila JAK/STAT Pathway, NIH R01GM67019-01, $1,280,400 (Declined in 2004)
School of Life Sciences