Li Yu PhD
1997~2000¡¡Ph.D., College of Life Sciences, Peking University, Beijing, P.R. China
Major: Molecular Biology
1994~1997¡¡M.S., Yunnan University, Yunnan Province, P.R. China
1990~1994 ¡¡B.S., Sichuan University, Sichuan Province, P.R. China
Brief Chronology of Employment
Sep. 2008~present, Professor, School of Life Sciences, Tsinghua University.
Oct. 2005~2008, Research fellow, Laboratory of immunology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland
Oct. 2002~Oct.2005, Visiting Fellow, Laboratory of immunology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland
Oct.2000~Oct.2002, Visiting Fellow, Laboratory of Cellular Molecular Biology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland
Li Yu’s research focuses on autophagy. His lab try to understand the autophagy in the broader context of cellular membrane trafficking system and the regulation of autophagy in the framework of metabolism regulation network. Furthermore, they are interested in studying the general principles that determine membrane curvature, shaping and remodeling by using autophagy as a working model. More specific, Li Yu’s lab focuses on two directions at this moment: 1) Migrasome, a new organelle discovered in Li Yu lab. 2) Autophagy.
1. Na Mi*, Yang Chen, Shuai Wang, Mengran Chen, Mingkun Zhao, Guang Yang, Meisheng Ma, Qian Su, Sai Luo, Jingwen Shi, Jia Xu, Qiang Guo, Ning Gao, Yujie Sun, Zhucheng Chen* & Li Yu*. CapZ regulates autophagosomal membrane shaping by promoting actin assembly inside the isolation membrane. Nature Cell Biology. in press
2. Chong Wang, Wanqing Du, Qian Peter Su, Mingli Zhu, Peiyuan Feng, Ying Li, Yichen Zhou, Na Mi, Yueyao Zhu, Dong Jiang, Senyan Zhang, Zerui Zhang, Yujie Sun* & Li Yu* Dynamic tubulation of mitochondria drives mitochondrial network formation. Cell Research. in press. (Cover story)
3. Ma L, Li Y, Peng J, Wu D, Zhao X, Cui Y, Chen L, Yan X, Du Y, Yu L*. Discovery of the migrasome, an organelle mediates release of cytoplasmic contents during cell migration. Cell Research. 2015, Jan;25(1):24-38. (Cover Story)
4. Chen R, Zou Y, Mao D, Sun D, Gao G, Shi J, Liu X, Zhu C, Yang M, Ye W, Hao Q, Li R, Yu L*. The general amino acid control pathway regulates mTOR and autophagy during serum/glutamine starvation. Journal of Cell Biol. 2014 Jul 21;206(2):173-82.
- Yueguang Rong, Mei Liu, Liang Ma, Wanqing Du, Hanshuo Zhang, Yuan Tian, Zhen Cao, Ying Li, He Ren, Chuanmao Zhang, Lin Li, She Chen, Jianzhong Xi*&Li Yu* Clathrin and phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate regulate autophagic lysosome reformation. Nature Cell Biology, Sep;14(9):924-34
6. Cong Yi, Meisheng Ma, Leili Ran, Jingxiang Zheng, Jingjing Tong, Jing Zhu, Chengying Ma, YufenSun, ShaojinZhang, Wenzhi Feng, Liyuan Zhu, Yan Le, Xingqi Gong, Xianghua Yan, Bing Hong, Fen-Jun Jiang, Zhiping Xie, Di Miao,Haiteng Deng & Li Yu* Function and molecular mechanism of acetylation in autophagy regulation. 2012 Apr 27, 474-477, Science
7. Huang W, Choi W, Hu W, Mi N, Guo Q, Ma M, Liu M, Tian Y, Lu P, Wang FL, Deng H, Liu L, Gao N, Yu L*, Shi Y*. Crystal structure and biochemical analyses reveal Beclin 1 as a novel membrane binding protein. Cell Res. 2012 Feb 7
- Yueguang Rong , Christina K. McPhee, Shuangshen Deng , Lei Huang , Lilian Chen, Mei Liu, Kirsten Tracy, Eric H. Baehrecke, Li Yu* and Michael J. Lenardo, Spinster is required for autophagic lysosome reformation and mTOR reactivation following starvation. PNAS, 2011 Apr 25
- Ye Tian, Zhipeng Li, Wanqiu Hu, Haiyan Ren, E Tian, Yu Zhao, Qun Lu, Xinxin Huang, Peiguo Yang, Xin Li, Xiaochen Wang, Attila L. Kovács, Li Yu*, and Hong Zhang*. C. elegans Screen Identifies Autophagy Genes Specific to Multicellular Organisms. Cell, 2010 Jun 11;141(6):1042-1055
- Li Yu, Christina K. McPhee, Lixin Zheng, Gonzalo A. Mardones, Yueguang Rong, Junya Peng, Na Mi, Ying Zhao, Zhihua Liu, Fengyi Wan, Dale W. Hailey, Viola Oorschot, Judith Klumperman, Eric H. Baehrecke, and Michael J. Lenardo*, Termination of autophagy and reformation of lysosomes regulated by mTOR. Nature, 2010 Jun 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Yu L, Alva A, Su H, Dutt P, Freundt E, Welsh S, Baehrecke EH, Lenardo MJ. Regulation of an ATG7-beclin 1 program of autophagic cell death by caspase-8. Science. 2004 Jun 4; 304(5676):1500-2
- Yu L, Fengyi Wan, Sudeshna Dutta, Sarah Weish, Zhihua Liu, Eric Freundt, Erich. Baehrecke, and Michael Lenardo. Autophagic programmed cell death by selective catalase degradation. PNAS. March 17,2006.
- Yu L, Mindy C Hebert, Ying Zhang. TGF-beta receptor-activated p 38 MAP kinase mediates Smad-independent TGF-beta response. EMBO. J 2002 Jul 15; 21(14): 3749-59
- Yu L, Strandberg L, Lenardo MJ. The selectivity of autophagy and its role in cell death and survival. Autophagy. 2008 Jul 1; 4(5):567-73]